Violin, Piano, and Gu Read more [...]
Piano Lessons with Jim Fox
The Jim Fox Piano Studio is located in the Brentwood/ South Nashville area .7 miles south of the intersection of Nolensville Rd. and Old Hickory Blvd. The Jim Fox Piano Studio opened in Nashville in 1999.
work (615) 834-7333
cel (615) 839-4480
Member of the Music Teachers National Association, Tennessee Music Teachers Association and the Nashville Area Music Teachers Association.
NAMTA Board of Directors 2007 – 2016.
California State University Los Angeles B.A. in Music/ Piano performance
Studied piano with Dr. Milton Stern and Herb Inskip
Graduated fall 1982
Santa Rosa Community College
A.S. Computer Programming
Graduated spring 1992
Also did musical studies at Sonoma State University and San Francisco State University where he studied with Walt Oster and John Handy.
With over 25 years experience, Jim teaches both children starting at five years and adults.
Jim Fox has worked extensively with popular and jazz groups in the last 25 years including WAR and the Drifters.
His unique style of contemporary keyboards lends itself to rock, R&B and many other styles.
Jim Fox is currently performing in the Nashville, TN area with the Jim Fox Trio. JimFoxTrio.com
Recitals are given twice a year, one in the fall and one in the spring. Performing in front of an audience is essential for the student’s ability as a performer.
Tuition for piano lessons is $88 per month for four ½ hour lessons. Payment for lessons are due during the first week of the month. Lessons are usually taken once a week. One hour and 45 minute lessons are also available. If you cannot attend the regularly scheduled lesson, a makeup lesson can be arranged during that week by contacting me 24 hours before the schedules lesson.
Daily practice time is required for progress in a student’s playing. Depending on age and other factors, 20 minutes to one hour a day, five days a week is required for the beginning and intermediate students. As a student progresses into advanced levels more practice time is required.
Make up Policy: If you can’t make a regularly scheduled lesson, a make up lesson can be arranged by contacting me 24 hours before the scheduled lesson time. Lessons missed due to illness, emergency or severe weather can be made up with less than 24 hour notice. I do not close on snow days unless there are extreme weather conditions.
- What age do you start students at? I will take students as young as 5 years old. This will vary since some children are not ready or interested at 5 years. As a child gets older their attention span will increase and they will learn at a faster rate.
- Do I need a piano to start lessons? It’s best to have an acoustic piano in good working condition. For the beginning level of piano a keyboard or digital piano will work. It would be best for a student who is in the intermediate or advanced level to have an acoustic piano or a higher end digital piano available to practice on.
- Do you teach adult students? Yes, I teach adult students. Learning piano as an adult is a different experience but can be very rewarding.
- What piano teaching method do you use? I use Faber method most of the time but also use material from Alfred, Bastion and other methods. For students who are interested in jazz and popular I use a variety of sheet music, lead sheets and jazz method books.
- What is your teaching philosophy? The teaching philosophy I use is to adapt to each students needs. Performing, reading, theory, technique and memorization are included in the lesson. Classical, jazz and popular styles of piano are taught depending on the students interests.
- What days are lessons given? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Lessons are scheduled at a regular time usually once a week.